Jeju-do Part 4


Well, for our last day in Jeju we forced ourselves to wake up at 6:30am to go to the top of Sunrise Peak to watch the sunrise.  We didn't know it was going to take us 45 minutes or so to get to the top, so we actually missed the sunrise but it was a wonderful view anyway.

After we came back down from Sunrise Peak, we were so exhausted from the past couple of days that we went back to the motel and went back to bed for another hour or so.

When we woke back up and finally checked out of the motel, we started our exploring again.  This time, our first stop was the Folk Village.  Now, on Jeju-do there is a Folk Village Museum and and actual Folk Village.  We went to the village.  Here, people still live in the old style houses.  With the exception of 2 or 3 of the oldest homes that are now preserved and open for viewing the rest of the area is an village with homes, restaurants, stores, etc. 

When we first arrived, we were starved so we went to one of the restaurants there to eat. 

Many of the things on the menu were similar to other traditional korean restaurants but there were also things like pheasant and horse.  Which led me to saying something I NEVER thought I would ever hear coming out of my mouth:  "That horse was delicious."

After eating, we looked around and took a number of photos.  The traditional houses had small courtyards around them and often areas sectioned off for gardens and pigpens.  It was really picturesque.

Next we went to see the lava tubes.  Jeju has some of the longest lava tubes in the world which are supposed to be incredibly beautiful.  When we arrived at about 2:30pm, we were told that the last tour starts at 12 because it takes so long-- and you have to make a reservation 2 days in advance.  So, we didn't get to see the longest tubes, but they did refer us to a smaller one about 10 minutes away.... so off we went.

These tubes were interesting to see, but they only had one major formation.

When we finished there, we decided to head back up to the airport area to find a place for the night since planned to return the rental car that night then just take a taxi to the airport in the morning.  On the drive, we passed yet another beautiful beach and even though it was raining we decided tat we had to at least wade out into the water since we were on a tropical island and hadn't gone in the water even once.

Well, the water looked good but it was ice cold.

The raincoats did a pretty good job of keeping us dry, however as we were finishing taking pictures I slipped on a rock and tumbled into the water-- raincoat, leather jacket, cell phone and all.  I did keep the camera out of the water though!! lol

Well, after changing clothes in the car we drove on into Jeju-si (Jeju City) and got our motel for the night.  We found a place just a couple of blocks from the car rental company so it was easy to return our car-- and they let us take their free shuttle back to the airport the next morning for our flight out.

We rounded out our trip with one more really good fish dinner, a good night's sleep, then up in time to catch our 8am flight back.

All in all, a wonderful trip.  I just wish we'd had more time.


Post a Comment

About This Blog

Rick is an English teacher currently living and working in Seoul, South Korea. If you have any questions about life in Korea, feel free to email:

  © Blogger template Foam by 2009

Back to TOP